Sicily: sunshine, sea and obviously cannoli! These little pieces of heaven need some patience, cannoli moulds and a thermometer to check the temperature of the oil – but it is definitely worth it!
Ingredients for 15 cannoli
To make the shells you need:
-marsala wine 30g
-egg yolk 10g, but keep the rest of the yolk to seal the cannoli
-cocoa powder 3g
-lard 15g (you can replace it with butter, but your cannoli wont be as bubbly)
-white wine vinegar 5g
-sunflower oil to fry the shells
For the most delicious filling you need:
-vanilla extract 3g
-pistachio crumbs, chocolate chips or dried oranges, pick what you like!
- Mix together the dry ingredients, and then add the liquid ingredients
- keep mixing everything together until you get a smooth consistency, it might take a while because the quantity of wet ingredients is considerably less than the dry ones
- wrap your dough in cling film and leave it in the fridge for 45 minutes/1hour
- take it out the fridge and leave it at room temperature for 30 minutes
- wiht a rolling pin (or a pasta machine) start work your dough until it is super thin, 1mm or less
- cut some squares, about 10cm x 10cm, and wrap them around the moulds
- seal them with the remaining yolk, press the edges firmly or the cannoli will open when you fry them!
- let the cannoli dry a little bit around the mould before frying them
- put your oil in the pan, it has to be enough to drown the cannoli
- using the thermometer, check the oil reaches 180° and using a metal sieve, fry the cannoli: it will take less than one minute to be ready, just turn them all the time
- using the sieve and a fork, take the cannoli shells out and leave them to cool on a plat wiht some kitchen paper
- in the meantime prepare the cream mixing together the ricotta, sugar and vanilla
- you can fill your cannoli using a pipe or a teaspoon and decorate with pistachio, chocolate chips or dried fruit
- eat them immediately! if you are not planning to eat them as soon as they are done, dont fill them with the ricotta until the very last minute, otherwise they will absorb the liquid from the ricotta and will get all soggy!