Are you bored of your usual poached eggs?
Let’s give them an Italian twist!
Eggs in purgatory are a very simple recipe (as always) but super tasty! You only need a few ingredients and a lovely piece of bread for the full experience 🙂
- Large eggs, 4
- Tomato sauce, 350g
- Spring onions, 3
- Olive oil as you like
- Olive oil garlic flavoured (optional, but I do love it)
- One teaspoon of sugar
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Cut the onions in fine slices
- Heat the oil(s)
- Add the onions and make them become clear
- Add the tomato sauce and heat it (doesn’t have to boil)
- Add the sugar to reduce the sharp taste
- Add salt as you like
- Add the eggs and leave them on the tomato sauce until cooked. Increase or reduce the temperature if the eggs are not cooking or if the sauce is bubbling too much
- If you are going for the cheddar, add it now
- When the eggs are done, add the pepper and the chilli flakes
Tip: I always leave the eggs in the pan and I eat them with some bread, doing the very famous “scarpetta”!