Farinata di ceci is a classic street food from Liguria. I noticed it is not very famous in the UK so I hope you will try to make it after reading this post, it is a very traditional Italian flavour that can’t go unnoticed! You can enjoy the farinata on its own, with soup, or with bread!
Before you keep reading, bear in mind that the mixture has to rest for at least 4 hours before putting it in the oven, don’t make the same mistake I made (preparing everything –> realising it has to rest –>ordering pizza for dinner)
Ingredients for 8 people:
- Chickpeas flour 350g
- Water 1 litre
- Olive oil half a glass
- Mix the chickpeas flour and the water, do it slowly and be careful to not make any lumps
- Leave it to rest for at least 4 hours
- If there is any “foam” on top of the mixture remove it with a spoon
- Add the oil
- Add the salt
- Put some oil on a big tray (I used a pizza tray)
- Put the mixture in the tray and spread it evenly (don’t worry if it looks too much liquid)
- Spread rosemary evenly on the mixture
- Add some pepper
- Put the tray in a pre heater oven and make it cook at 250°. I usually leave it on the last shelf of the oven for the first 10 minutes and then I move it on the top shelf. Leave it on the first shelf of the oven until it has a lovely golden/hazelnuty colour.