I lost count of how many times I made mushroom risotto, it is my favourite dish and I did so many experiments before reaching the absolute perfection!
My recipe is slightly different from the authentic Italian version, but I will make some notes in my steps to let you know what the proper recipe says, so that you can make your decision (spoiler alert: my version is spot on, I absolutely LOVE IT).
Ingredients for 5 people:
- My version: Portobello mushrooms 150g Chestnut mushrooms 150g, Woodland mushrooms 150g
- Authentic recipe: porcini mushrooms 450g
- One small white onion
- White wine 1/2 glass
- Arborio rice 400g
- Olive oil
- Vegetable stock 1litre
Additional, for my version:
- Double cream
- Wash the mushrooms
- Put the vegetable stock to boil
- Chop the onion very finely
- Put the onion in a pan with oil (2-3 tablespoons) and butter (1-2 tablespoons)
- Cut the mushrooms
- When the onion becomes clear (not goldened) add the rice
- Add the wine and stir until it evaporates
- Start putting some vegetable stock with a cooking spoon. Dont “drown” the rice, add some stock any time it evaporates.
- Add the mushrooms
- Keep adding the stock until the rice is ready
- When it is almost done, add one tablespoon of butter and grated parmesan, as much as you like
- Add salt and pepper as you like
The authentic Italian recipes is completed, but for extra taste you can add these two steps:
13. Add some rosemary, 1 or 2 tablespoons as you like
14. When the rice is ready, turn the heat off and add 2-3 tablespoons of cream, even more if you prefer your risotto very very creamy!
I really hope you love it as much as I do!!!